Comeback kings! Skipper Lee steals all three points for City with winning goal at Arundel

Chi City Arundel

Jack Lee completed a thrilling comeback for Chichester City, scoring the winning goal in an exciting 4-3 victory at Arundel in the SCFL Premier Division.

Chi seemed to take their foot off the gas following a bright start, said skipper and match-winner, Lee.

He explained: “So we’re delighted, in a way. But we shouldn’t have made it that difficult. It’s good to get the three points, certainly in the circumstances, that’s for sure.

“To be honest I thought they deserved to win. We looked dead on our heels but Kaleem’s goal spurred us on. We dug in and they must have switched off the last five minutes.”

This win keeps Chichester hot on the heels of leaders Haywards Heath. Coach Danny Potter took to Twitter to say: “That was an important three points today for us against a very competitive team. The game could have gone either way and Arundel deserved more.”

Next up for Miles Rutherford’s side is the rearranged RUR Cup quarter finals where they host Horsham YMCA on Tuesday. Chi are back in league action against Pagham in the Boxing Day derby.

Despite all the game’s early chances coming from open play, the deadlock was broken from a spot-kick. Scott Murfin stepped up and slotted the penalty away with ease.

Chichester conceded the equaliser from a corner right before the half. Jordan Dudas was found unmarked in the box, and smashed home the leveller.

Arundel came out the stronger of the two, edging in front in the 67th minute. Alex Biggs fired a shot goalward that beat Ant Ender and flew into the bottom corner.

Soon after, the hosts extended their lead when Shane Brazil was fouled in the box. The subsequent penalty was converted by Josh Biggs, despite Ender getting a hand to the ball.

Super sub Kaleem Haitham was introduced and made an immediate impact when he hit a cross that turned into a shot that flew over the diving keeper and into the back of the net. Murfin added his second of the game, and the equaliser, with just over five minutes to go.

The winning goal came deep into stoppage time when Lee turned in a cross from Josh Clack. Moments later the whistle blew, and Chi had nabbed the victory right at the death.

Chichester – Ender, Hartley, Williams, Lee, French, Hegarty, Clack, Pashley, Dolcetti, Murfin, Jones. Subs. (Haitham, Hutchings, Mendes-Borges, Killner, Ndlovu)

With thanks to Chichester City FC website

About the Author

Josh Burford
Trainee journalist at Highbury College with a passion for film and TV.